Saturday, September 12, 2009

I think I'm in LOVE...with VH1...

Back in my highschool days I used to say that watching VH1 was one of my hobbies.  I was (and still am) obsessed with all things pop culture. Where better to feed this hunger and provide thirst for this obsession than VH1?  

For those of you who may not remember, before VH1 turned into all things "chance" and "shot" at love, it was a channel that told artists stories and offered stunning glimpses into the creative process.  

Well I fell madly deeply and truly in love with VH1 all over again after seeing Lil Wayne's Behind the Music on Thursday night.  Aaannd on top of that they are bringing Divas back.  It looks as though VH1 is making a rather aggressive attempt to return to its former self and I love it!

I can admit that I am not a die-hard Lil Wayne fan.  Yes, I am familiar with his body of work, and know some of his story, but I wasn't like "oh shucks gotta go and cop Carter III" when it came out. I like Wayne just enough to keep the radio station tuned in when one of his songs come on, and even more so since I respect this man as an artist (even if his similes and metaphors sometimes annoy the hell out of me).

So the story of Lil Wayne was told in an hour, and on the other side of that hour I found myself having a new-found respect for Wayne, and that's exactly what Behind the Music is supposed to do. It's supposed to give you a glimpse into the mind, the background, the history of the rapper or singer as an artist and human being.  Hearing why Wayne decided he would only create raps off the top of his head was probably what really made me respect him as an artist.  He just felt held back by what he had written down on paper.  And of course, all the typical elements of a Behind the Music were present.  The internal struggle, the passion and drive to make it; for Wayne he wanted to make it beyond being the little skinny looking hype-man in the cash money clique. 

My favorite parts had to be when Wayne discussed what was in that Styrofoam cup that he carries around with him.  He pretty much alluded to what was in there (sizzurp..I know ya'll remember that). He also ate a macintosh apple during one segment of the interview (I kid you not, please let me know if you caught that..I know I wasn't seeing things).

If you missed Behind the Music: Lil Wayne check out the DCtoBC blog here. All 3 installments are available for your viewing pleasure streaming online.

So VH1 is back to what it does best, telling stories, being about the music, and I couldn't be happier.  Next week's installment of Behind the Music is about Pink, and should be just as interesting as last week's Lil Wayne installment.  It will be airing next Thursday, September 17th at 8pm.  

For more information about the line up for the triumphant return of Behind the Music check out the official press release.  I'm interested to see what the Brent Michael's story will entail.  Will he explain why the heck he decided to do Rock of Love? I'm also anticipating the Bobby Brown story to be an interesting one; especially if it touches on his divorce from Whitney.  

Oh, and following Pink's Behind the Music will be the return of Divas.  Not sure if this return can be labeled triumphant when you have Miley Cyrus as a headliner. Yes you read that correctly, Miss Hanna Montana will be sharing the stage with powerhouses like Adele, Leona Lewis and Kelly Clarkson. I'm sorry but I was with VH1 until I saw that.  However, I'll leave the remainder of my comments about this until I actually see the show on Thursday.  They've posted on their blog more information about the line up...check it out.

Even with this slight glitch in the matrix, VH1 has put a move on my heart, and I'm excited to see what's next (can we say another VH1 Storytellers installment? Please pretty please!)


No comments:

Post a Comment